Thursday, May 01, 2008

The quality of our production yesterday rated mediocre to bad. There is a simple explanation for this evaluation – I was horrible.
I could never get into a flow and establish a rhythm. I tried slowing down the cut and I tried aggressively cutting.
I do not remember one time during the game/telecast where I knew where I was going to be in five cuts.
My timing of lower third batter fonts (graphics) never seemed to work. The graphic was either in too long or not long enough.
Many times I found myself going to the centerfield camera (camera 4) for the pitch way too early and there were a couple of instances where I went to camera 4 way too late.
I found myself being “all tied up” and therefore I had to waste shots just to get back to where I could (maybe) get a rhythm going.
I felt like a rookie and I made rookie mistakes.
I struggled during most of the game/telecast, yet I never gave up trying to get a flow going.
I noticed something during my struggle with the telecast yesterday that I have rarely noticed before. As the show/telecast went on, my struggle affected other members of our production team. There were mistakes made that we do not usually see on our show. The camera operators were affected as well. Shots usually taken were not there and some of the camera operators stopped being aggressive. I think these fine technicians were trying in their own way to help me with the struggles I was having.
Mistakes are made in every TV sports production.
It is the goal of every TV sports production team to capture the best shots, show the best replays, mix the best audio, and air the best graphic. Those moments are special to every telecast. This profession is so great because each and every time we go to work, we learn.
Yesterday, I saw and learned how much my struggles affected other members of our production team.
I can only hope that during tomorrow’s game/telecast my work in the TV truck will be of the quality that will elevate the quality of work from the rest of our production team.I brought them all down yesterday, tomorrow I hope to make them better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home